What is SibStrong?
SibStrong is a new organization seeking to connect and provide support and resources for siblings of people with disabilities and their families.
While SibStrong intends to work with siblings of all ages, one of the initial areas of focus will be to support elementary school-aged siblings. The in-school program will provide a regular time and space for siblings to get together with other brothers and sisters of people with disabilities. Combining activities, discussion and games, these sessions, run by a school counselor and an older sibling of someone with a disability, will allow siblings to:
- Meet other siblings of people with disabilities
- Develop a community of other children who share similar experiences to them
- Provide a safe space for siblings to talk about their experiences—the good and the bad
- Celebrate the unique role they play in the lives of their brothers and sisters
- Better understand disability and ways to talk about it to friends and peers
- Learn strategies for dealing with challenging situations
- Ask questions they may have about their role as the sibling of someone with a disability
The goal of the SibStrong In-School program is to provide a supportive and FUN environment that will empower siblings, allow them to form a community of siblings, while also broadening understanding and acceptance of disability in-school.
Along with supporting your sons and daughters, SibStrong will offer opportunities for parents to access sibling-related resources and interact with older siblings to learn first-hand about the sibling experience.